The Global Asthma and COPD Drugs Market is expected to reach USD 62.32 billion by 2028 from USD 43.19 billion in 2019, growing at a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period. Increasing asthma and COPD incidence and prevalence, advances in technology, and the rising senescent population is expected to propel the asthma and COPD drugs market during the forecast period.
Asthma and COPD Drugs Market
Asthma and COPD are chronic respiratory diseases that, owing to several environmental factors, are either genetically acquired or triggered. These ailments are supposed to be non-curable, but with optimal on-time diagnosis, they can be largely controlled. Based on drugs and devices used for these diseases, the global asthma and COPD drugs market is analyzed. Key drugs used to manage and diagnose asthma and COPD may be categorized as bronchodilators, leukotriene antagonists, mast cell stabilizers, and immunosuppressant based on their types.
Due to reducing birth rates and increased life expectancy, the global population is aging quickly. As of 2018, the total number of people aged between 65 years and older exceeded 55 million, according to the statistics of the US Census Bureau. According to the United Nations, the number of older people aged 60 years or older worldwide is expected to increase by 56 percent during the period 2015-2030. Besides, Asia and the Pacific Economic and Social Commission (ESCAP) reports that the Asia-Pacific senescent population was around 650 million in 2018, accounting for more than half of the total aged population in the world. Asia-Pacific is projected to account for nearly two-thirds of the world's geriatric population by 2050. Hence, since asthma is a widely prevalent disease found in people over age 65, the growing geriatric population is expected to drive the asthma and COPD drugs market growth over the forecast period.
The Asthma segment is projected to hold the biggest share in asthma and COPD drugs market during the forecast period based on indication type. Around 7 percent of kids in the United States were reported to have asthma in 2018, according to the American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology (AAAI). To some measure, men were more prone to have asthma than women at 8.5% and 6.9% respectively. Children's asthma prevalence rose from 8.7% in 2001 to 9.4% in 2010, accompanied by a decline to 7.7% in 2018. Although not all adjustments were statistically noteworthy, a comparable pattern among sub-demographic groups was detected, except Mexican / Mexican-American kids, among whom asthma prevalence rose from 5.1% in 2001 to 6.8% in 2018.
North America is the world leader in drugs and devices for asthma and COPD. Europe accompanied North America in terms of market capitalization. However, due to the expiry of several patents of pharmaceutical firms operating in these areas, North America and Europe are anticipated to lose some share in asthma and COPD drugs market to other evolving regional economies. Due to the increased incidence of asthma and other respiratory diseases in downtown areas, Asia Pacific is anticipated to be the fastest worldwide asthma and COPD market. The Middle East an underdeveloped region with regards to asthma and COPD drugs market.
Key Factors Impacting the Growth of Asthma and COPD Drugs Market:
- An increasing number of global senescent population.
- Increasing industrial pollution in developing economies.
- Technological advancement in the treatment of asthma and COPD.
- Stringent government regulations regarding the circulation of asthma drugs.
Key Developments in the Asthma and COPD Drugs Market:
- In 2016, GlaxoSmithKline bought global rights to an experimental drug from Johnson and Johnson, raising its bet on a new generation of biotech medicines for severe asthma. The British drugmaker launched Nucala, its first injectable biological asthma drug, and is looking for additional treatments to help more patients who are still struggling with breathing problems.
- In 2018, AstraZeneca unloaded rights to Alvesco (ciclesonide) to treat persistent asthma, and Omnaris and Zetonna (ciclesonide) to treat nasal symptoms associated with rhinitis. The company indicates that the rights cover markets outside the United States and the US royalties for the drugs. Covis already commercializes the three drugs in the US, but upon closing, it will own them.
- In 2015, AstraZeneca announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire the core respiratory business of Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited (“Takeda”). The deal will include the expansion of rights to roflumilast (marketed as Daliresp in the US and Texas in other countries), the only approved oral PDE4 inhibitor for the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
What Does This Report Provide?
This report provides a detailed understanding of global asthma and COPD drugs from qualitative and quantitative perspectives during the forecast period. The report also provides dynamic indicators with a potential impact on the market during the forecast period and an in-depth analysis of the leading companies operating in asthma and COPD drugs market.
Years Considered In The Study
By Drug Class:
- Short Acting Beta-2 Agonists
- Long Acting Beta-2 Agonists
- Oral and Inhaled Corticosteroids
- Phosphodiesterase Type-4 Inhibitors
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- By Country (US, Canada, Mexico)
- By Country (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Spain, Rest of Western Europe)
- By Country (Russia, Turkey, Rest of Eastern Europe)
- By Country (China, Japan, India, South Korea, Australia, Rest of Asia Pacific)
- By Country (UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Iran, Rest of Middle East)
- By Region (South America, Africa)
Companies Covered: Major Companies profiled in the report which are key players in the global asthma and COPD drugs market are Abbott Laboratories, Astrazeneca, Boehringer Ingelheim, Glaxosmithkline, Merck and Co., Grifols, Novartis AG, Pfizer, Roche Holding AG, and Teva Pharmaceutical.
Reasons to Buy This Report:
- Market size estimation of global asthma and COPD drugs market on a regional and global basis.
- The unique research design for market size estimation and forecast.
- Profiling of major companies operating in asthma and COPD drugs market with key developments.
- Broad scope to cover all the possible segments helping every stakeholder in asthma and COPD drugs market.
We provide customization of the study to meet specific requirements:
- By Segment
- By Sub-segment
- By Region/Country
For more information, contact: [email protected]