The Drug Discovery Technologies Market reached USD 37,500.2 million in 2021 and is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.8% during the forecast period. Drug discovery technologies find applications in drug discovery used to determine a diagnosis for cardiovascular, neurological, cancer, and other diseases. Increasing prevalence of life-threatening diseases has led to the growth of the drug discovery technologies market. The companies in the drug discovery technologies market are focusing on improving treatments and therapies by offering superior technologies.
The pharmaceutical industry is adopting multiple approaches to drug discovery. Current drug discovery technologies use modern techniques in drug design and discovery. The advancements in biochemical, translational, and molecular studies in biomedical research have led to the commercial development of new and effective drug discovery technologies. Collaborative efforts of researchers and the pharmaceutical industry have led to the invention of advanced technologies.
The rapid spread of COVID-19 has resulted in tremendous pressure on the healthcare sector. The COVID-19 outbreak has thrown a spotlight on the need to develop medicines and increase disease detection and prevention efficiency around the world. Hence, the demand for drug discovery technologies has surged significantly, and the market is experiencing rapid growth.
TABLE 1: GLOBAL DRUG DISCOVERY TECHNOLOGIES MARKET OVERALL SNAPSHOT
The drug discovery technologies market is segmented based on technology, applications, end user, and region.
FIGURE 1: GLOBAL DRUG DISCOVERY TECHNOLOGIES MARKET SEGMENTATION
Drug Discovery Technologies Market, by Technology
Based on the technology, the market is divided into bioanalytical instruments, biochips, bioinformatics, combinatorial chemistry, genomics, high throughput screening, nanotechnology, pharmacogenomics, ribonucleic acid interface (RNAI).
Among these segments, the high throughput screening segment has captured the largest market share in 2021, and it is expected to remain the largest segment during the forecast period. High-throughput screening allows the testing of large samples of chemicals and/or biological compounds. The testing is done for a specific biological target.
High-throughput screening methods are used to accelerate target analysis with access to large-scale compound libraries in a cost-effective way. These tests are used to determine the drug design before the development of a potential drug. Therefore, the increasing demand for new effective drugs against prevention and treatment for various diseases and conditions is expected to drive the segment growth.
Drug Discovery Technologies market, by Application
Based on the application, the market for drug discovery technologies is divided into cardiovascular diseases (CVD), Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s and others.
Among these segments, Alzheimer’s segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. The increasing prevalence of Alzheimer's disease (AD) is growing significantly. Increasing number of clinical trials for drug development, enhancing trial efficiency, and improving trial success has resulted in developing new therapeutics for AD.
For instance, in June 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Biogen’s Alzheimer’s drug aducanumab. It is known as Aduhelm and is the first new therapy for Alzheimer’s disease in nearly two decades, and the first approved drug that reduces amyloid-β plaques in the brain. There are many products in the AD pipeline in 2021 compared to 2020. Thus, the advancements in drug discovery and developments have led to increasing progress in improving treatment for Alzheimer's disease.
Drug Discovery Technologies Market, by End User
Based on the end user, the market for drug discovery technologies is divided into biopharmaceutical companies, biotech companies, pharmaceutical companies, and research institutes. Among these segments, biotech company’s segment has captured the largest market share in 2021 and is anticipated to remain the largest segment during the forecast period.
Biotechnology firms use the processes of living organisms as they manufacture products or solve problems. The identification and sourcing of DNA have fueled industry growth. Companies have developed pest-resistant crops, created biofuels like ethanol, and developed gene cloning. In recent years, biotechnology startups have sprouted alongside computer technology companies in Silicon Valley. These biotechnology processes create breakthrough drugs.
Drug Discovery Technologies Market, by Region
Based on region, the drug discovery technologies market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America.
Among these regions, North America drug discovery technologies market is expected to the largest market share during the forecast period. The demand for drug discovery technologies in North America can be attributed to the increasing focus on health and increased government and private investment in healthcare. The governments in the U.S. and Canada have favorable government policies for the investors for research and development of new drugs.
Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region during the forecast period. Asia Pacific holds a dominant position in market for drug discovery technologies due to rising disposable incomes and medical tourism. The favorable long-term government policies and aggressive investment by the pharmaceutical industry in the region, which has skilled labor at affordable cost is driving the market growth.
TABLE 2: GLOBAL DRUG DISCOVERY TECHNOLOGIES MARKET OVERVIEW
FIGURE 2: GLOBAL DRUG DISCOVERY TECHNOLOGIES MARKET (USD MILLION), 2021-2030
Recent Developments in the Global Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- May 2021- Bristol Myers Squibb Licenses patented drug-discovery platform technologies from Housey Pharma. Scientists at Housey Pharma have developed the next generation of drug-discovery technology in the cell-based assay field. The company’s technologies are being offered for licensure on a non-exclusive basis to other research-based pharmaceutical companies worldwide.
- April 2021- Beijing Stonewise Technology Co. Ltd., uses artificial intelligence (AI) to aid in the discovery of small molecule drugs. The company closed series B and B+ financing rounds that added USD 100 million. The company intends to use the proceeds to upgrade its AI-enabled drug discovery platform.
- March 2021- Catalent, the leading global provider of advanced delivery technologies, for drugs, biologics, cell and gene therapies, announced that it has signed an agreement with Cybin Inc focused on progressing psychedelic therapeutics. The agreement will enable Catalent’s proprietary Zydis orally disintegrating tablet (ODT) technology for the delivery of Cybin’s novel deuterated tryptamine (CYB003), a potential therapy for treatment-resistant psychiatric disorders.
- March 2021- Insilico Medicine, an AI drug discovery company, announced that UCB will integrate Insilico's Chemistry42 into UCB's internal drug discovery pipeline. UCB's early adoption of Insilico Medicine's proprietary technology will provide UCB's scientists with the ability to design novel hit compounds that satisfy multiple predefined parameters rapidly and streamline lead optimization.
- March 2021- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center's Therapeutics Discovery division and Orionis Biosciences announced the launch of Project Helios, a research collaboration designed to unlock new drug development opportunities through genome-scale mapping of drug-target interactions. Project Helios aims to create an unparalleled collection of drug-target interaction data to enable rational drug discovery, optimization, and repurposing.
- January 2021- Sosei Group Corporation and PharmEnable, a UK drug discovery company, announced they have entered a collaboration to apply their respective technologies to drive novel drug discovery against a challenging G protein-couple receptor (GPCR) target associated with neurological diseases.
What Does This Report Provide?
This report provides a detailed understanding of the drug discovery technologies market from qualitative and quantitative perspectives during the forecast period. The report also provides dynamic indicators with potential impact on the market during the forecast period and an in-depth analysis of the leading companies operating in the market. The major market drivers, challenges, and opportunities for the drug discovery technologies market have been covered in the report. This report further includes the market shares of the leading companies operating in the global market, along with their production capacities and the growth strategies adopted by them.
- Bioanalytical Instruments
- Mass Spectrometry
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)
- Micro Plate Readers
- Chemotherapy Instruments
- DNA microarrays
- Lab on a chip
- Proteomics microarrays
- Combinatorial Chemistry
- Functional genomics
- Structural genomics
- High Throughput Screening
- Robotics & Automation
- Cell Based Assays
- High Content Screening
- Ultra-High Throughput Screening
- Atomic Force Microscopy
- Nano mass spectroscopy
- Dip pen nanolithography
- Other nanotechnologies
- Ribonucleic Acid Interface (RNAI)
- Short Hairpin RNAs
- Cardiovascular Diseases (CVD)
By End User
- Biopharmaceutical Companies
- Biotech Companies
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Research Institutes
North America Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- North America, by Country
- North America by Technology
- North America by Application
- North America by End User
Europe Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- Europe, by Country
- U K.
- Rest of Europe
- Europe by Technology
- Europe by Application
- Europe by End User
Asia Pacific Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- Asia Pacific, by Country
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Asia Pacific by Technology
- Asia Pacific by Application
- Asia Pacific by End User
Middle East and Africa Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- Middle East and Africa, by Country
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Middle East and Africa by Technology
- Middle East and Africa by Application
- Middle East and Africa by End User
South America Drug Discovery Technologies Market
- South America, by Country
- Rest of South America
- South America by Technology
- South America by Application
- South America by End User
Major Companies: The major companies of the market include Abbott Laboratories Inc., Affymetrix Inc., Agilent Technologies Inc., Albany Molecular Research Inc., Arqule Inc., Astrazeneca Plc., Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., Caliper Life Sciences Inc., Celera Corp, Charles River Laboratories International Inc., Chembridge Corp, Evotec Ag, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Gyros Ab, Incyte Corp, Life Technologies Corp, Shimadzu Corp, Perkinelmer Inc., Sigma-Aldrich Corp, Tecan Group Ltd., Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
Objectives of This Report:
- To estimate the market size for the drug discovery technologies market on a regional and global basis
- To identify major segments in the drug discovery technologies market and evaluate their market shares and demand
- To provide a competitive scenario for the drug discovery technologies market with major developments observed by the key companies in the historic years
- To evaluate key factors governing the dynamics of drug discovery technologies market with their potential gravity during the forecast period
- To evaluate the leading company-wise pricing analysis for the mentioned applications
Key Questioned Answered in the Study:
- What are major growth drivers and market trends that are affecting the drug discovery technologies market?
- What is the market size in terms of both value and volume for the drug discovery technologies market?
- Who are the leading market players and who are the new market players that operate in the drug discovery technologies market with an estimated market share?
- What are the future investment pockets and opportunity in the drug discovery technologies market?
- Major list of customers and potential futuristic customer list along with an estimated buying volume.
- What will be the impact of COVID-19 on the drug discovery technologies market?
This study is customized to meet your specific requirements:
- By sub-segment
- By client-specific country, type, and application market analysis
- Pricing analysis along with the potential list of customers
- Product-specific competitive analysis
For more information, contact: [email protected]