The Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market valued at USD 13,200.6 million in 2020, and it is projected to grow at a CAGR of 16.8 % during the forecast period. Non-opioid analgesics are prescribed medications, and over-the-counter (OTC) medication is used to ease the pain. They have become gradually emphasized in various clinical settings as a preferred, effective, and safe first-line therapy substitute to opioid medications for chronic pain and mild to moderate acute pain.
Non-opioid pain treatment involves strong pain relievers. This treatment is done in the place of opioids due to increased addiction caused by opioids. They have more side effects compare to non-opioids drugs. Non-opioid drugs are used as a first-line treatment for acute pain and present in prescription formulations and over-the-counter. With the opioid crisis and the cut down on the prescription of opioid painkillers, non-opioids pain is the substitute expected to grow at a rapid rate. This is expected to propel the non-opioids pain treatment market.
Increasing aged population, which generates high demand for healthcare facilities, and the rise in lifestyle-associated ailments is expected to augment the non-opioids pain treatment market. Increasing the occurrence of chronic disease is also expected to propel the non-opioids pain treatment market growth. Increasing spending on research and development, undergoing clinical trials, and change in the governing environment are expected to accelerate the supports for several drugs which trigger the growth of the non-opioids pain treatment market.
Modernized development pathway for non-opioid analgesics and partnership among the major manufacturers for the drug development is projected to boost the non-opioids pain treatment market. Rising prevalence of diseases, such as cancer, arthritis, dental disorders, and epilepsy, leading to chronic pain conditions, such as migraine, osteoarthritis, lower back pain, fibromyalgia, localized neuropathic pain, and localized musculoskeletal pain, are expected to drive the global non-opioid pain treatment market growth.
Factors such as the high price of patent drugs and the use of opioids in numerous under developing and developed countries are expected to restrain the non-opioid pain treatment market during the forecast period. In addition, inclination towards alternative therapies and fake products are also predicted to hinder the global non-opioid pain treatment market growth.
The QMI team is closely observing the impact of COVID-19 on the non-opioid pain treatment market. The nationwide lockdown and continuous increase in infection rates across the country generated a widespread financial impact on the clinic's services. Many pain and clinic services have observed a drop in several patient visits amid COVID-19 ultimately, dropping client contact. Also, many clinics and pain services have undergone a decline in several visits in COVID-19.
Furthermore, most chronic pain services were deemed non-urgent, outpatient and elective interventional processes were stopped or limited in the COVID-19 pandemic to lower the risk of viral spread. Thus, a negative impact of COVID-19 on the non-opioid pain treatment market is observed.
TABLE 1: GLOBAL NON-OPIOID PAIN TREATMENT MARKET OVERALL SNAPSHOT
The non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented based on product, disease, drug type, distribution channel, and region.
FIGURE 1: GLOBAL NON-OPIOID PAIN TREATMENT MARKET SEGMENTATION
Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market, by Product
Based on product, the non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented into medical cannabis treatments, capsaicin-derived treatments, menthol-containing treatments, omega-3 fatty acid-containing treatments, and botulinum toxins.
Among all product segments of non-opioid pain treatment, the medical cannabis treatments segment has the fastest market growth in 2021 and is projected to hold its position during the forecast period. The segment growth can be attributed to the increasing burden of diseases, which is ultimately drive the high demand for the medical cannabis treatment market during the forecast period.
Furthermore, the increasing aged population which generates high demand for healthcare services, and the high demand for cannabis for medical use due to the legal use of medical cannabis in developed countries are expected to drive the segment growth during the forecast period.
Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market, by Disease
Based on disease, the non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented into arthritis, cancer, dental, epilepsy, fibromyalgia, migraine, multiple sclerosis, and surgical. The cancer segment is further divided into brain, breast, colorectal, leukemia/lymphoma, melanoma, prostate, and others.
The cancer segment has the fastest market growth cumulatively in 2021 and is expected to remain the largest segment during the forecast period. The growth of cancer segment is attributed to non-opioid pain treatment for cancer patients often present with chronic pain, which boosts the growth of non-opioid pain treatment market growth in the forecast period.
In addition, growing awareness regarding the side effects associated with cancer treatment like hair loss is expected to drive the demand for non-opioid pain treatment during the forecast period.
Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market, by Drug Type
Based on drug type, the non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented into acetaminophen, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroids, anticonvulsants, and serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor antidepressants. The corticosteroids segment is the largest segment in 2021 and is expected to remain the largest segment during the forecast period.
Corticosteroids have been shown to decrease spontaneous discharge in an injured nerve, which reduces neuropathic pain, which is expected to contribute to segment growth during the forecast period. In addition, corticosteroids are also used to treat depression, which can boost the market growth during the forecast period.
Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market, by Distribution Channel
Based on the distribution channel, the non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented into hospital pharmacies, retail pharmacies, drug stores, and online pharmacies. The hospital pharmacies segment holds the largest market share in 2021 and is expected to remain the largest market during the forecast period.
The growth of the hospital pharmacies segment can be attributed to various technological advancements resulting in higher success rates post-treatment and surgeries, and the delivery of efficient patient care, which is significantly contributing to the hospital pharmacies segment growth during the forecast period.
Global Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market, by Region:
Based on region, the non-opioid pain treatment market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa, and South America. The non-opioid pain treatment market in North America is anticipated to hold the largest share during the forecast period owing to favorable regulatory scenario.
The key factor contributing to the North American market is the increasing prevalence of osteoarthritis in the population. The prolonged access to medical care because of healthcare reforms further propels the regional market. Therefore, the economies in this region and growing demographics are predictable to offer good opportunities for regional market growth.
Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing region for the non-opioid pain treatment market. The majority of the market is generated in less established nations with relaxed regulations regarding cannabis. Japan, China, and India are the top markets for these drugs owing to the high demand for better health management and awareness about pain medication, and economic conditions. In addition, the growing aged population in this region will also affect the market positively.
TABLE 2: GLOBAL NON-OPIOID PAIN TREATMENT MARKET OVERVIEW
FIGURE 2: GLOBAL NON-OPIOID PAIN TREATMENT MARKET (USD MILLION), 2021-2030
Recent Developments in the Global Non-opioid pain Treatment Market
- June 2019- Ironwood Pharmaceuticals and Allergan started patient dosing in Phase II Clinical Trial of MD-7246 in patients with abdominal pain related with irritable bowel syndrome with diarrhea (IBS-D). The companies are evaluating the product, as an oral, intestinal, non-opioid, pain-relieving agent for patients suffering from abdominal pain associated with certain GI diseases.
- June 2018- Sandoz Canada declared partnership agreement with Tilray, a Health Canada licensed producer of medical cannabis to become the first Canadian pharmaceutical company to come into the medical cannabis field
- January 2018- Centrexion Therapeutics raised USS 67 million and introduced Phase 3 program for CNTX-4975 in knee osteoarthritis pain. CNTX-4975, ultra-pure, a synthetic injection of trans-capsaicin for the treatment of chronic pain owing to knee osteoarthritis. CNTX-4975 is a novel, highly differentiated, non-opioid therapy designed to be inserted directly into the painful joint.
What Does This Report Provide?
This report provides a detailed understanding of the global non-opioid pain treatment market from qualitative and quantitative perspectives during the forecast period. The report also provides dynamic indicators with potential impact on the market during the forecast period and an in-depth analysis of the leading companies operating in the market.
The major market drivers, challenges, and opportunities for the global non-opioid pain treatment market have been covered in the report. This report further includes the market shares of the leading companies operating in the global market, along with their production capacities and the growth strategies adopted by them.
- Medical Cannabis Treatments
- Capsaicin-derived Treatments
- Menthol-containing Treatments
- Omega-3 Fatty Acid-Containing Treatments
- Botulinum Toxins
- Multiple Sclerosis
By Drug Type
- Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
By Distribution Channel
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Drug Stores
- Online Pharmacies
North America Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market
- North America, by Country
- North America, by Product
- North America, by Disease
- North America, by Drug Type
- North America, by Distribution Channel
Europe Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market
- Europe, by Country
- Rest of Europe
- Europe, by Product
- Europe, by Disease
- Europe, by Drug Type
- Europe, by Distribution Channel
Asia Pacific Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market
- Asia Pacific, by Country
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Asia Pacific, by Product
- Asia Pacific, by Disease
- Asia Pacific, by Drug Type
- Asia Pacific, by Distribution Channel
Middle East and Africa Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market
- Middle East and Africa, by Country
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- Middle East and Africa, by Product
- Middle East and Africa, by Disease
- Middle East and Africa, by Drug Type
- Middle East and Africa, by Distribution Channel
South America Non-Opioid Pain Treatment Market
- South America, by Country
- Rest of South America
- South America, by Product
- South America, by Disease
- South America, by Drug Type
- South America, by Distribution Channel
Major Companies: In this report, the major companies studied are: Pfizer Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Centrexion Therapeutics, Novartis AG, US WorldMeds, LLC, GW Pharmaceuticals plc. Cara Therapeutics, Anodyne Pain, LLC, and Trait Biosciences
Objectives of this Report:
- To estimate the market size for the non-opioid pain treatment market on a regional and global basis
- To identify major segments in the non-opioid pain treatment market and evaluate their market shares and demand
- To provide a competitive scenario for the market with major developments observed by the key companies in the historic years
- To evaluate the key factors governing the dynamics of the non-opioid pain treatment market with their potential gravity during the forecast period
- To evaluate the leading company-wise pricing analysis for the mentioned applications
Key Questioned Answered in the Study:
- What are major growth drivers and market trends that are impacting the global non-opioid pain treatment market?
- What is the market size both in terms of value and volume for the global non-opioid pain treatment market?
- Who are the leading market players and who are the new market players that operate in the global market with an estimated market share?
- What are the future investment pockets and opportunities in the global non-opioid pain treatment market?
- Major list of customers and potential futuristic customer list along with an estimated buying volume
- Impact of COVID-19 on the global non-opioid pain treatment market
This study is customized to meet your specific requirements:
- By sub-segment
- By client-specific country, type, and application market analysis
- Pricing analysis along with the potential list of customers
- Product-specific competitive analysis
For more information, contact: [email protected]