Leukapheresis Market is Expected to Grow at a CAGR of 4.3% from 2021 to 2030
The Global Leukapheresis Market is projected to reach USD 53.5 billion in 2021, and it is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 43.9% during the forecast period. Leukapheresis is a specially modified apheresis technique designed to remove leukocyte and return the remaining cells (granulocytes, platelets, red blood cells) to the donor. Leukopaks (LPs) are leukapheresis samples obtained from healthy peripheral blood. Leukopaks market is subpart of leukapheresis market. Rising prevalence and incidence of leukemia, mortality rates due to leukemia, and increasing demand for blood donations are expected to contribute to the market during the forecast period. Furthermore, the demand for leukopaks in clinical trials research will support the market growth.
The separation of white blood cells from the blood sample, which is involved with the body’s immune system, is done with a medical procedure called leukapheresis. This procedure is similar to apheresis where platelets or red blood cells are extracted from blood and the remaining blood is sent to the body’s blood circulation. High white blood cells in the body can result in chronic blood cancers like chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), and thus leukapheresis is important to be performed.
The leukapheresis is performed in CAR T-cell therapy, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), chemotherapy induced leukopenia and systemic infections associated with granulocytopenia. Leukapheresis is also associated with various risks like hypocalcemia, anemia or local infections and thus it is important to discuss about the risks prior to leukapheresis treatment.
Utilizing blood cells through leukapheresis for research & development activities, transplantation and academic purposes will boost the market growth. Furthermore, increasing prevalence of cancer and rising geriatric populations are expected to contribute to market growth. However, high costs of leukopaks and leukapheresis, and stringent donor selections will restrain the market growth during the forecast period. Increasing investments in research & development activities to lower the treatment costs and providing therapies in emerging countries will create market growth opportunities. However, blood transfusion safety in developing economies can be challenging for the market.
COVID-19 Impact on Global Leukapheresis Market
During the COVID-19 pandemic, some industries are observing optimistic growth and some are struggling. The lockdown has crashed the global economy and many industries have affected in terms of supply chain & demand and manufacturing processes. During the COVID-19 pandemic, research & development activities on vaccine development has positive impact on leukapheresis market as study of blood cells is important aspect in vaccine developments. Furthermore, various studies and researches are going on the effect of vaccines on white blood cells.
Global Leukapheresis Market, by Type
Based on type, the leukapheresis market is divided into leukapheresis disposables and leukapheresis devices. The leukapheresis devices segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. Leukapheresis devices are further classified as centrifugal devices and membrane separators. The installation of centrifugal devices for therapeutic apheresis is expected to contribute to segment growth.
Global Leukapheresis Market, by Application
Based on application, the leukapheresis market is segmented into research applications and therapeutic applications. The research applications segment is expected to be the fastest-growing segment during the forecast period. Rising research and development activities by various organizations is expected to drive the research applications segment. Adoption of leukapheresis procedures for leukemia treatment will further boost the market growth.
Global Leukapheresis Market, by End User
Based on end user, the leukapheresis market is divided into blood component providers and blood centers, academic and research institutes, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, and hospital and transfusion centers. The blood component providers and blood centers segment is expected to hold the largest market share during the forecast period. The demand for blood and plasma donation is increasing, which is expected to boost the blood component & blood centers segment. The academic and research institutes segment is expected to observe significant growth during the analysis period due to rising partnerships and collaborations for researching cell-based cancer therapies.
Global Leukopaks Market, by Type
Based on type, the leukopaks market is divided into mobilized leukopaks, non-mobilized leukopaks, diseased leukopaks, and isolated PBMCs. The mobilized leukopaks segment is expected to hold the largest market share during the forecast period. The increasing demand for immunotherapy, transplant therapy and regenerative therapy will drive the mobilized leukopaks segment.
The low cost of non-mobilized leukopaks will further drive the market. Diseased leukopaks will support the market growth due to growing adoption of diseases leukopaks for cell interaction and toxic studies. Furthermore, rising research & development activities on cell-based therapies will drive the isolated PBMCs.
Global Leukopaks Market, by Indication
Based on indication, the leukopaks market is divided into acute lymphocytic leukemia, multiple myeloma, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, chronic lymphocytic lymphoma, pancreatic cancer, hepatocellular carcinoma, and other. The pancreatic cancer segment is expected to be the fastest growing segment during the forecast period. According to World Cancer Research Fund, in 2018, 460,000 new pancreatic cancer cases were reported. Increasing age and other medical conditions associated with diet, obesity, diabetes, inheritance and rare conditions can lead to pancreatic cancer. Some external factors like smoking and consuming alcohol can also cause pancreatic cancer. Thus, the increase in pancreatic cases is expected to contribute to the market growth.
Global Leukopaks Market, by End User
Based on end user, the leukopaks market is segmented into academic and research institutes, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, and contract research organizations. The pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies segment is expected to hold the largest market share during the forecast period. Growing demand for drug development and therapies using leukopaks as starting material will boost the pharmaceutical & biotechnology companies segment.
The academic and research institutes is expected to observe significant growth during the forecast period due to rising partnerships and collaborations for conducting research on cell-based cancer therapies. The growing demand for clinical trials and its sponsorships will drive the contract research organizations segment during the forecast period.
Global Leukapheresis Market, by Region
Based on region, the global leukapheresis market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, the Middle East & Africa, and South America. North America is expected to observe the significant growth in the market during the forecast period. Rising prevalence of blood cancer is expected to contribute to the regional market growth. Furthermore, the presence of large number of leading biotechnology companies in the region will drive the market during the forecast period.
Recent Key Developments in the Global Leukapheresis Market
- July 2021- American Gene Technologies (AGT) announced the continuation of AGT’s HIV cure program after safety analysis which revealed no adverse effects from the treatment. The treatment involves with delivering therapeutic genes to recipient’s immune cells where cells have been collected through leukapheresis procedure.
- June 2021- OrganaBio LLC announced the products related to adult peripheral blood-derived, which include peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) and whole leukopaks. The company also stated that products have high concentration of PBMCs like NK cells, T cells, B cells and monocytes.
- January 2021- Lonza launched the customizable cryopreserved leukopaks. These frozen leukopaks are suitable for long term storage for research activities and allows immediate access to viable cells for workflow flexibility.
Some Key Findings of the Global Leukapheresis Market Report Include:
- The analysis includes a global leukapheresis market study, expansions, and forecasts, along with a country-specific analysis
- An in-depth analysis of the global leukapheresis market comprises segment by type, application, end user and region and leukopaks market comprises segment by type, indication and end user with an analysis of trend-based insights and factors
- Product offering details on competitive benchmarking and evolution approach adopted by the industry players, along with their investments in the last five years in the global market have been provided in the report
- The market research includes a study of the provinces, boundaries, drivers, prospects, guidelines, challenges, and procedures that are propelling the global leukapheresis market
- The study also offers complex measures of potential market effect during the forecast period and an in-depth overview of the leading companies operating in the global market
- External as well as internal variables that are expected to have a positive or negative effect on companies have been evaluated, which will offer the decision-makers a strong futuristic view of the industry
- The research also helps understand the dynamics of the leukapheresis market structure by analyzing market segments and by projecting the size of the market
- The report helps to understand the effects of COVID-19 pandemic on leukapheresis market
Some major industry players functional in the global leukapheresis market are Asahi Kasei Medical Co. Ltd., Fresenius SE & Co. KGaA, Haemonetics Corporation, Terumo BCT, Inc., Macopharma SA, Miltenyi Biotec, Guangzhou Daji Medical Science and Technology Co. Ltd., MEDICA S.p.A, PuriBlood Medical Co. Ltd., Beijing ZKSK, Technology Co. Ltd., Charles River Laboratories, AllCells, LLC, StemExpress, LLC., Caltag Medsystems Limited, Lonza Group AG, ZenBio, Precision for Medicine, BioIVT, Discovery Life Sciences, Intelligent Tissue Group.
Leukapheresis Market, by Type:
- Leukapheresis Disposables
- Leukapheresis Devices
- Centrifugal Devices
- Membrane Separators
Leukapheresis Market, by Application:
- Research Applications
- Therapeutic Applications
Leukapheresis Market, by End user:
- Blood Component Providers & Blood Centers
- Academic & Research Institutes
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Hospital & Transfusion Centers
Leukopaks Market, by Type:
- Mobilized Leukopaks
- Non-Mobilized Leukopaks
- Diseased Leukopaks
- Isolated PBMCs
Leukopaks Market, by Indication:
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Multiple Myeloma
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma
- Chronic Lymphocytic Lymphoma
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- Other Indications
Leukopaks Market, by End User:
- Academic & Research Institutes
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Contract Research Organizations
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- South America